Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bookmark and Share

An Actor...

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

I don't even know what to call this post. There are many titles it could hold, but none of them quite seem to do it justice. The show closes today with the two o'clock performance. I used to think that closings would someday get easier. And maybe someday they will. But, every one remains to be different.

This experience...I don't even know. I have so enjoyed every single person that has been involved with this show. It seems to have become such an embedded part of life that it now seems so strange that it's going to end. It seems so rare that a whole cast seems to really click together with no exceptions, especially a whole team.

I felt like with Smoke on the Mountain that the whole "family" just seemed to mesh so beautifully, but with that there was the hope of perhaps performing one of the sequels in a not-so-distant season (and we are now, in fact, all going to be back together it seems to perform Sander's Family Christmas at Barksdale Theatre at Hanover Tavern starting in November). But with Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter, it's one of those that you know for certain that you will never have these same people in a cast together again. It's like moving away from home.

There are so many wonderful memories. We have such an incredible time. So much fun amidst so much hard work. But everything must have a balance it seems. And having the best job in the world must have it's downfalls. Closings, for me, are the biggest of these.

With these people, I even seem to be able to take joy in the dance numbers (which frighten me on a regular basis).

I don't know that I can continue to be anywhere close to articulate about how I feel about the cast and crew and creative team, so I should wrap it up.

It's been such a beautiful story to be able to tell, with such beautiful people. I feel so fortunate to have been able to be a part of this project and I know it's one that I will forever carry fond memories of.

I really love this cast. The ones that I've been hoping to work with for quite a while, the ones that I've worked with before, and the ones I didn't know before.

This is going to sound really cheesy, but theatre seems to me to really be magical. (Cheesy continues:) One of the lyrics in the show is "Magic changes all of your faces. Open your heart and you'll find, that magic lives in all kinds of places, like deep in your heart and in mine." I have learned so much from this cast, all of them (Cathy, Corey, David, Gigi, Jackie, Jacquie, Maggie, Matt, Richard, Thomas), from Dawn, from the crew, from the playwright, from the play....I should really pull it together and stop crying. hahaha. But this has truly been one of my favorite and most magical experiences. I hope that I'm able to take that and carry it on. I hope we all are.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B.C. To me theatre is magic. There's a quote I've come across in my studies that I like to put forth as my reason for being involved with it. here goes
"I had gone thither hoping that the beauty, the grandeur, and the earnestness of my day-to-day existence would, for one instant, be revealed to me." I think it's the same reason people go to church. All of us, whether we know it or not, are searching for some greater meaning in our lives; the proof that we are all connected. I think theatre is the closest I've ever come to that. In our world good can triumph, evil can learn a lesson, posessions are revealed as futile, and love can conquer all things. & That's only one play!

February 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home