Friday, February 1, 2008

Bookmark and Share

Maggie Roop Does Double Duty

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

Maggie Roop is currently appearing as Lady Vennesse/ Granny/ Ensemble in Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter, while rehearsing the role of Sister James in Barksdale Theatre's production of Doubt: a Parable by John Patrick Shanley, both productions being part of the Acts of Faith Festival. Here she fills out the questionnaire and then talks about pulling double-duty in these productions.

Hometown: Herndon, VA.

Audition song: "Stop and See Me" from Weird Romance. It's a gem.

Special skills: This is one of those things that I never know how to respond to. I can't juggle or skateboard or do handsprings. Apparently I'm good at staying calm in stressful situations! According to Jackie Jones this is true but I'm sure some would disagree!!!

Favorite word: During the recent presidential debates, I have enjoyed the use of the word "mobilize". I like that one.

First show ever saw: Les Mis at the National in D.C. when I was 7.

If you could go back in time and catch one show (Broadway or otherwise) what would it be?: Company with Raul Esparza!

Favorite show tune: Anything from Les Mis pretty much. I stick to my roots.

Least favorite word: I think my new least favorite is "wimple"!!

Favorite play: It's too hard to pick just one...my favorite new play that I saw recently is probably Frost/Nixon.

Favorite musical: Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Wild Party (the Lippa version) are my faves in the Contemporary category. But I was brought up on Oklahoma! and Showboat.

Most played song on your iPod (or CD player): "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor or anything by M.I.A. especially "Hussel" or "Roadrunner". Oh, and Christina Aguilera suits any mood I might be in!!

Last book you read: Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Good stuff.

Sound or noise you love: The voices of my nephews and my cat purring.

Must-see TV show: LOST!!!! My new fave is Life.

Last good movie you saw: La Vie En Rose. It's the Edith Piaf movie. It's fantastic and everyone should see it. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it a couple of days ago. Incredible acting and an amazing story. See it.

Sound or noise you hate: Whining. Even if it's me.

Worst job you ever had: I nannied for someone once who was less than enjoyable to work for. No names!!

First stage kiss: Evan Hoffman my senior year in high school! We were Billy and Hope in Anything Goes. He's also still acting! And we're still friends. Lovely.

Worst costume ever: Ok, don't hate me Liz Hopper, but once I was painted blue and wore thigh-high boots and a Kathy Griffin wig. It wasn't my favorite costume ever!!!

What turns you on (creatively, spiritually, emotionally)?: I like someone who is confidant in their creative abilities but with modesty and grace. I love when people thrive on other's input in making creative decisions. There is always another perspective or another approach. There is nothing like an energetic debate or discussion about anything, especially when it's something you love like your creative art!!

On doing double duty:
Working on Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter has been a unique experience for me because it has not been the only play on my plate in the recent weeks. I also have the pleasure of playing Sister James in Doubt: a Parable for Barksdale Theatre, directed by Keri Wormald.

Somehow in auditioning for both Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter and Doubt I failed to notice the overlapping Rump performances and Doubt rehearsals. In fact, Doubt tech starts during the closing weekend of Rump. The happy part was that I was cast in both shows, the downside was the realization by directors and managers and myself alike that I sadly cannot be in two places at once. Enter Jaquie O'Connor. Thankfully she was prepared to swoop in, learn my roles in Rump and essentially save the day! We share the part now and she will be joining the cast for her first performance tomorrow afternoon, 2/2 at 3pm. I look forward to my chance to see the show from the house in full. Should be glorious and sparkly and golden. Hooray!

It has been interesting to compare the two experiences as they happen side-by-side. A musical vs. a play, the Empire vs. the Barksdale, a smallish cast vs. a very small cast. The only real similarities have been that I thoroughly enjoy both casts and I am having a wonderful time with both shows, I am glad to say.

One of my favorite things about many of the plays I have done here in Richmond is the opportunity to be a part of something new, different or experimental. This is an aspect of Rump that I've enjoyed. The version we have is the only one that's been done. It is exciting to do something knowing that it is fresh and a discovery. The discovery we are exploring in Doubt rehearsals is a different brand. This is a fairly new play but it's had it's turn on Broadway, won that Pulitzer. The group of us, with Keri at the wheel, are finding so much in this play as we roll along. We are barreling through our first couple of off-book runs. And it is delightful!
While performing my amazing-overlapping-show trick, I have not come through unscathed. My scratchy throat is finally clearing up and that night when I couldn't see Billy Christopher's face because of a setting-in migraine is merely a glimmer in my past. It wouldn't be theatre without a little bit of turmoil. All-in-all, I am having a wonderful time. I just moved back to town in October and Richmond has welcomed me back with open arms. Thanks to all my cast mates and my two directors, and those two stage managers and all you tech fellas that make the world go round. Oh, and for you painters, our sets sure would be different if you weren't around!!!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home