Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bookmark and Share

This Lady in Waiting Gets Her Turn

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

I asked Jacquie O'Connor to write a bit about her experience in the show, to give a bit of a different voice and because she's got a very interesting part in the project. Maggie Roop, one of our four fabulous ensemble members, after being cast in RD, was also cast in Doubt: a Parable at Barksdale Theatre, so Jacquie will be playing the weekend performances for the remainder of the run. That should catch you up enough to jump into where Jacquie started telling the story:


When I got the call from Steve Perigard asking me if I was interested in understudying and stepping in for the very talented Maggie Roop in Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter I was thrilled! Way back when I used to perform all the time on the magnificent Theatre IV stage and I missed it. I have very fond memories of all the children shows I did at Theatre IV, but one of my favorites was the last one I did….King Island Christmas directed by Steve. It was special because I finally got to work with both Bruce Miller & Phil Whiteway in a play! Oh boy do I have stories…we had this lovely song about the Northern Lights that we sang about halfway through the show. This was one of those complicated lyric songs that take a while to memorize (even longer if you are not in your 20’s anymore). Phil "pie boy" (in the show) was having the same issue as most of us were. He however had a fun way to cover…Steve had directed us to circle around the Island while we sang and each time Phil passed me he would have this beaming smile on his face, acting his heart out, only instead of the words to the song he would be singing "la, la, la, la"…it made me laugh really hard. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when he got the lyrics down. It was such a lovely show...hmmm is it time to bring it back?


Anyway, back to this understudy gig. So after the initial "YEAH" reaction I had to Steve's call…the DREAD hit me. I am NOT good at throwing myself into a show and learning songs, dances and lines in less then 2 weeks. I mean who is…OK, Joe Pabst is…but he is a freak of nature. I went to my first rehearsal feeling like perhaps I had made a mistake. I have to tell you in all honesty…this cast has made it so easy! They made feel like I had been a part of their family the entire time. No one told me to get out of the way as I shadowed (stalked) Maggie, and they never said no to a request to go over something with me. They are perhaps the most giving cast I have ever worked with.


Theatre IV has been kind enough to give me a full run-through this Weds night and then I on go on this Sat. Ready or not (I think I'm ready)…this has been such a fun journey and anything that goes wrong…well, I will just add that to my pile of fun theatre stories.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home