Monday, December 24, 2007

Bookmark and Share

All Quiet on the Eastern Front

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

OK, Ok, ok. I know it's really All Quiet on the Western Front, but considering that the Empire Theatre is opposite of the West End (although it's still really downtown and not East End...nevermind). Just go with me here.

So it's the day before a major holiday, so staff of Theatre IV/Barksdale Theatre are on vacation. A very wonderful gift to have a holiday break. I'm not incredibly enamored of holidays, so I thought I'd come into the marketing office and catch up on a few things that got neglected in the midst of many, many, many shows running at the same time: A Christmas Story at the Empire Theatre (closed yesterday), Moonlight and Magnolias in Barksdale Theatre's Signature Season (running through January 20), Swingtime Canteen at Barksdale Theatre at Hanover Tavern (extended through March 2), Bifocals Theatre Project's It's a Wonderful Life on Barksdale Theatre at Willow Lawn's Lobby Stage and then touring around the Greater Richmond area (closed Friday), and more Theatre IV touring shows for young audiences than I even know of (the fall tours have wrapped up, but a whole new batch begins rehearsing for the spring tours very soon).

Seems that our office has gotten a bit cluttered with office supplies, brochures, a delightful bottle of craft glue that seems to have its remnants dried to the bottom, and oddly enough a set piece from what appears to be a Christmas show.

With all of the ads, playbills, voucher donations, TV commercials, and many, many other projects that come out this office (with my fabulously diligent coworker Catherine Dudley and the best boss I think I've ever had, Sara Marsden) sometimes those things get left on the table.

I guess Christmas isn't generally the time when traditionally one reflects on what one is thankful for (I guess I missed that with Thanksgiving). But as I sit here thinking about all of those things, I have to feel very grateful. I'm working in theatre with tremendously talented, generous, hardworking people that are doing great things every day- for the audiences and community in Richmond and far, far beyond.

So. Back to tidying. Thinking of all the wonderful things to come (and all the "hecticness", as well) with spring tours, Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter opening at the end of January, Doubt: A Parable opening at Willow Lawn in February, Two Short Plays in the Bifocals series in February, as well, beginning a whole new season of shows at Hanover Tavern in March, and oh, so many more events, shows, and projects that will be interspersed along the way.

It really does bring a smile to my face.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home